Divorce and Separation

penman sedgwick solicitors watford central baths new

You will only be granted a divorce if you can demonstrate that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. There are 5 ways to show this. These are:

  • Your spouse has committed adultery

  • Your spouse’s behaviour is such that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with them
  • Your spouse left you at least 2 years ago without good reason and refuses to return (desertion)
  • You have been separated from your spouse for 2 years and they agree to the divorce
  • You have been separated from your spouse for 5 years or more

If a divorce is against your religion or you do not wish to get a divorce for any other reason you could consider judicial separation. We will be able to help you decide if this is suitable for you at our first meeting.

In certain circumstances, the marriage itself may be void or voidable. In this case you may wish to instigate nulment proceedings. We will be able to advise you on the merits of each case at your first appointment.

If you need any advice on Divorce and Separation then please contact us, and we will respond as soon as possible, or call us on 01923 225212.

Penman Sedgwick's opening hours:

Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 5.30pm